martes, 21 de mayo de 2013

here are some idioms to learn !!

ace: make an "A" on a test, homework assignment, project, etc.
"Somebody said you aced the test, Dave. That's great!"
all right (1): expression of reluctant agreement.
A: "Come to the party with me. Please!"
B: "Oh, all right. I don't want to, but I will."
all right (2): fair; not particularly good.
A: "How's your chemistry class?"
B: "It's all right, I guess, but it's not the best class I've ever had."
all right (3): unharmed; in satisfactory condition.
A: "You don't look normal. Are you all right?"
B: "Yes, but I have a headache."
and then some: and much more besides.
A: "I'd guess your new computer cost about $2,000. "
B: "It cost that much and then some because I also bought extra RAM and VRAM."
antsy: restless; impatient and tired of waiting.
"I hope Katy calls soon. Just sitting around and waiting is making me antsy."
as easy as pie: very easy.
"I thought you said this was a difficult problem. It isn't. In fact, it's as easy as pie."
at the eleventh hour: at the last minute; almost too late.
"Yes, I got the work done in time. I finished it at the eleventh hour, but I wasn't late.


bad-mouth: say unkind, unflattering, embarrassing (and probably untrue) things about someone.
A: "I don't believe what Bob said. Why is he bad-mouthing me?"
B: "He's probably jealous of your success."
be a piece of cake: be very easy.
A: "Bob said the test was difficult, but I thought it wasa piece of cake.""
be all ears: be eager to hear what someone has to say.
A: "I just got an e-mail message from our old friend Sally."
B: "Tell me what she said. I'm all ears!"
be broke: be without money.
"No, I can't lend you ten dollars. I'mcompletely broke until payday."

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario